Sunday, September 11, 2016

Monday, Monday...

Hello everyone in the blogosphere.

Touching on a few random topics today.

First is my beloved Carolina Panthers. Here's a shout-out for their tremendous season (17-1) and for gaining a birth in Super Bowl 50. (I don't do Roman numerals).


Secondly, the day of all that caucusing in Iowa has finally arrived. All the prognosticators can rest (yeah, sure). The candidates can relax (won't happen). TV viewers, tired of all the debating and speeches and I'll do that or I'll do this, can sit back and see history unfold.


It all happens today and tonight in the Hawkeye State.

"Why Iowa?" someone asked me.

"Why not?" I replied.

Iowans are a smart, savvy breed. And they are tough. Have to be out there in the Midwest with those ferocious winters. (I know because I lived in Iowa about five years.)

My view of the candidates:

1. Hillary Clinton--slippery, deceptive, prickly, borderline arrogant. Needs to learn how to use email.

2. Bernie Sanders--honest, sincere, frank, friendly (but is he a tad too old to be president?)

3. Martin O'Malley (not sure I'm spelling his name right)--polished and good speaker but doesn't stand a chance.

4. Donald Duck Trump (cause he ducked the last GOP debate)--extremely rich blowhard who claims to have all the answers.

5. Marco Rubio--charismatic and smart, but too scripted in his debating style.

6. Jeb Bush--could step in right now and do a good job as commander-in-chief. But many are tired of the Bushes. I feel sorry for him. Decent man.

7. John Kasich--stay still when you speak, John! Quit waving your arms. You are good, but you won't win the nomination.

8. Mike Huckabee--truly a good man. I believe he's a preacher? Too good to be president.

9. Rick Santorum--speaks well. Intelligent. Has a cool last name. But still a relative unknown on the national scale--even today.


10. Carly Fiorina--too strident. Could be the next CEO of Verizon. Needs to chill.

11. Ben Carson--blinks his eyes too often. Overly soft spoken, gentle and kind. Wants to be everyone's friend. Not working, Ben.

Finally, want to say a good word about an author I have just read. Her name is Adriana Trigioli. She wrote, among other books, Big Stone Gap and Big Cherry Holler. Words roll off her tongue (or through her fingers on a keyboard) like a warm rain soothing your soul. Recommend her strongly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello. My name is Jennifer Timbs Benson. I stumbled onto your book "Fish Springs: Beneath the Surface" looking for "Mountain Memories" which I'd kept seeing excerpts of on ancestory.com. My grandfather was Eddie Timbs, who moved to Indianapolis, Indiana. Though, I'll admit, there are vastly different stories as to who his parents were among the cousins in Indy. No one's really around any more that can verify the truth. Big families create marvelous material, don't they? I hope I haven't overstepped any boundaries by contacting you. I just wanted to let you know I appreciate you preserving the memories and stories. I've recently started to realize how disconnected I am to the Timbs side. You've brought it to life for me. Thank you!
Jennifer

carolina magic said...

Hi Jennifer. Good to hear from you. I have just now (late September 2016) seen your comment on the Timbs family. Glad you like my book! Email me at: larrytimbs@gmail.com