Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Green paradise in Charlotte, N.C.



One of my favorite weeks of the year occurs at the end of April and start of May.

Not only because another academic year is just about over.

But a very special PGA golf tournament takes place at the Quail Hollow Club in southeast Charlotte, N.C.--about 25 miles from where I live and work in Rock Hill, S.C.

It's the Quail Hollow Championship.

Last week marked the third year I've volunteered at Quail Hollow as an "Ambassador."

No pay but I get to breathe the same air as Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Fred Couples... I get within a few feet of them. (And that free Dasani bottled water is pretty good.)

Twenty-year-old Rory McIlroy won the QHC this year, pocketing $1,152,000. (That's rich Rory in the photos accompanying this blog post. Who wouldn't be exulting in happiness?!) Four strokes behind in second place was Phil Mickelson; Angel Cabrera took third.

The beleaguered Tiger Woods, who won at Quail Hollow two years ago, did not make the cut, so we did not see him play in the Saturday and Sunday championship rounds.

But fear not: Tiger will be back--with his magic. He will win again here.

Some trivia about the course at Quail Hollow:

•7,422 yards long

•Ranked 19 (out of 51) in difficulty on the PGA Tour in 2009

•52 sand bunkers

•3 water hazards

•4 par 5's

•10 par 4's

•4 par 3's

•Longest hole (591 yards) is number 10

•Shortest hole (178 yards) is number 2

•Most difficult hole (my opinion) is the 217-yard par 3 #17

Something happens to me, bury me at beautiful Quail Hollow--near the pitching range. I like that silky white smoothe sand in the bunkers. Maybe plant me there, and when the pros gently brush the bunkers with their sand wedges, I'll smile as I'm sleeping.

What a peaceful, beautiful, borderline spiritual place.

You like lush, thick, perfect green grass? Come to Quail Hollow.

You want to see the best in the world compete at the world's most challenging sport? Come to Quail Hollow.

Consicousness happens (and even peaks) at Quail Hollow.

A person really feels alive there.

Onward and upward to the 2011 Quail Hollow Championship.

2 comments:

mercedes said...

Sounds like a good pitch for Quail Hollow, a golfer's paradise.

minnie pearl said...

Really good.and some would say u are a drama queen.i am thankful u got the feeling