Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Farewell, Roadie

I lost my best friend today.

You can see his picture a few inches below my profile photo on the right hand side of my blog.

His name was Roadie.

He had four legs and a big heart.

Patsy, who brought Roadie into my life about eight years ago, called him unique.

I told her today, between sobs, that he was way, way more than that.

He was one in a billion; always up for a treat or snack; always at my side; never wondering why I was late or had on the wrong color clothing; never asking me where I had been; never demanding or even asking for attention.

Roadie was just a dog, but I could tell him anything (or not tell him a thing) and he still loved me.

Roadie stayed on this earth for 10 years. He was on medication (prednisone) for an incurable (but not contagious) skin ailment, for most of his life. It slowed him down considerably; but still he managed to waddle about. His tail never stopped wagging. Those big brown expressive eyes always connected with you.

When I was sick, hurting and weak as a kitten--when I had my chest opened up two years ago for open heart surgery--Roadie did not leave my side.

He knew (I KNEW HE KNEW) that I hurt.

About a week ago, Roadie's kidneys stopped working. The doctor put him on an IV, and he looked pitiful. Jackson, our other dog (a loveable bichon frese) nuzzled up to Roadie and kissed him, as Roadie lay in the back of the car with the IV needle in his front leg. Jackson sensed that his first real four-legged friend, Roadie, wasn't long for this world. Jackson kissed Roadie. (I SWEAR HE DID!) Then he stretched out beside Roadie and kept him company all the way home from the doctor's office.

So Roadie, this blog post is for you. Thanks for the warm memories. Thanks for boosting emotionally . . so many other people--all my students who got to know you, my friends, neighbors, family members, those patients in their wheelchairs in the nursing home that you comforted and made smile when I took you there with me, even strangers who happened upon you and instantly liked you. And thanks especially for brightening my life. Thanks for always being there when I needed a loyal, understanding (never questioning) companion. You were the best, Roadie.

If there is a dog heaven, Roadie, you are there.

I love you--always will. And, by the way, long as there's an Internet and long as I maintain this blog, your photo will grace it.

Farewell, Roadie.

13 comments:

Jamie Chrisman Low said...

It's hard to lose 'em. Hugs.

Unknown said...

So sorry, Larry. Animals become a big part of our lives.

carolina magic said...

Thanks, Jamie and Haney, for your thoughtful words. Appreciate your reading and commenting!

mercedes said...

What a heartwarming valediction for Roadie!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Roadie, Dr. Timbs!

We lost our dachshund 2 years ago after having her for 9 years. She was blind and died of a heart attack due to the stress it caused her.

Pet owners really understand that pets are not just animals, they are like little people! I'm sure Roadie appreciates the sweet blog post you wrote for him.

-Jessica

carolina magic said...

Thanks, Jessica and Mercedes. I'm getting a lot of feedback--via email and comments attached to this blog post--about Roadie. We humans really love and cherish our pets.

Samantha said...

Larry this is Samantha and i just wanted to say that u made me cry when we were talking on the phone and i started to cry even more when i read this. Larry even though they are not my dogs i think they are and i just cried more when i heard about what Jackson I LOVE YOU please call me and i will miss Roadie a lot.


-Samantha

carolina magic said...

Thanks, Samantha, for reading my blog and for caring so much about Roadie. He loved you a lot! You were good to him. I love you.--Larry

John So Sexy said...

Sorry to hear about Roadie Dr. Timbs. I truly hope and pray things get better.

Christi Falls Photography said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It is truly a heart wrenching thing to go through. Sending lots of good thoughts your way..

carolina magic said...

Thanks very much, Christi, and John So Sexy. Appreciate your thoughts.

Jo Lentz said...

Larry,
I am so sorry about Roadie's death. I know how much you loved him and how much you will miss him. Radar died earlier this year. It is always tough.

carolina magic said...

Thanks, Jo. So sorry to learn of Radar's passing. He was your very best friend, I'm sure!