Sunday, May 11, 2008

Salute to veterans


One thing that's struck me during all this "heart stuff" I'm going through is our nation's military veterans.

In the heart surgery recovery unit, for example, at the Asheville VA Hospital, "Shelby" (never got his last name) occupied a bed about 30 feet from me.

Shelby is a Vietnam veteran, wounded in that war four times.

Today, at age 61, he's fighting for his life (just as I am.)

He has the support, just as I do, of the Veterans Administration, but I wonder, throughout his life, how much hero status Shelby ever received.

One night, he shared with me that "People don't care, Larry. They don't give a d... what happened to me in Vietnam."

Here's a big thanks to veterans like Shelby and to those vets who haven't seen combat but answered the call nonetheless.

They're all heroes.

We should never forget that.

2 comments:

Beth in SC said...

Timbs, Timbs Timbs...some of us *heart* our veterans. I just can't meet all of them in person and tell them myself. :)

Brian Shaw said...

Hear Hear, Larry! My dad is a Vietnam vet. My heart goes out to all those who put themselves in harms way for our freedoms; their service is much appreciated and worthy of all praise and honor.