Sunday, March 23, 2014

For the love of a dog

One thing I know for certain in this uncertain life is that there’s a tight bond between a man and his dog.

My two dogs are Michael Jackson (a bichon) and Little Joe (a sheltie). Those are the two loveable four-legged bundles of fur in the photo accompanying this blog post.

Someone once said that dog spelled backwards is God. I don't mean to wax spiritual, but how can we NOT deeply cherish our dogs? Because life is hard, even under the best of circumstances, but with the love of a dog, it's richer, more meaningful.

Think of it:

1. We learn to communicate with our dogs and they talk back to us. By that, I mean they wag their tails, bark or otherwise respond in dog speak.
2. Our dogs take us for a good, healthy walk every day--if we only make time for them.
3. When we walk our dog (or they walk us), others, admiring our pet, will stop and ask us questions about breed, age, personality. We completely understand why WE are not the focus of their curiosity and affection. These strangers, who seldom give us eye contact, are taken almost completely by our dog, and that’s as it should be.
4. We find ultimate, wonderful contentment and happiness and peace of mind with our dogs. When I'm depressed or am sad or feeling alone, my dog is always there for me. He cheers me up, makes me smile...
5. Our dogs make us better, more caring and more selfless human beings. That's because they ask for our love and return it faithfully and unconditionally to us.

And I recently came across this--which says a lot about people and their dogs:

"People who really love their dogs are the most kind and giving people. We are the ones who don't freak out because our dogs gave us a kiss or ate off our plate. We don't leave our dogs out in the heat or cold and when we lay down at night our dogs are on the bed or at least snuggled close by safe from the dark and dangers that roam in the night. We love our dogs despite their stinky breath and dog slobber. We love all dogs we have had in the past and especially the ones we have now."

I’ve been living, the past several months, in Johnson City, Tenn. And guess where I love to hang out. It's not any of the usual places that town leaders boast of. It's not ETSU. It's not the glitzy mall. It’s not the sporting venues—baseball fields, football or soccer fields, basketball palaces. It's not Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesdays, Panera Bread, and it’s not even Chick-Fil-A (my all-time favorite fast food eatery).

I'm drawn, instead to the Johnson City Dog Park. I go there often to pass the time with Michael Jackson and Little Joe. And I’ve met some good folks there. It’s about 3-4 acres of fenced in grass, trees, benches and fountains (where our dogs can romp and play and get a cool drink). And I’ve met some nice people there as well—gals like Bridgitt and Holly and Valerie and men like Bill, Bob, Chuck and Marvin.

Dog lovers all of them.

Good-hearted people all of them.

They have to be. Because their dogs help make them that way.

Arf, arf!

1 comment:

the bus driver said...

thought that was real nice that is the way it is in a lot of places not to many people will let their dog kiss them the way that you said in this blog. realy liked reading this.