Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day imagery


I may try my hand at fiction writing once I retire. Here's some Valentine's Day imagery I created today. Don't know where this would go, but maybe it could be a start to a short story...

She, his wife of some 15 years, was gone forever this Valentine’s Day, never to return to his life.

But there near him, curled up at the foot of his bed, lay his very best friend—a two-year-old sheltie pup who would never let him down.

Who would never desert him or leave him for someone else. Who would never nag or demand to be called...

Stretching and awakening, he stared at the dog’s big brown eyes, and the dog stared back.

Dog and man.

Man and dog.

The canine, “Joe,” began wagging his tail.

That big slobbery tongue longed, as it did every morning when Joe roused from his sleep, for a slurp of cold water.

I pulled on my sweatpants and slipped into my shoes.

And Joe waited, his eyes never leaving me.

Waited anxiously and happily, as he always did, for his morning run and for the ball to be thrown to him and for some love.

A dog doesn’t ask for much. Doesn’t need much. Doesn’t expect much.

Nothing but love.

Not just on Valentine’s Day, but every day.

No comments: