Thursday, December 9, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards, the Tin Man and yours truly


What do Elizabeth Edwards, the Tin Man (from the Wizard of Oz) and yours truly have in common?

We've all confronted our own mortality.

Elizabeth with her breast cancer (and sad to say it finally did her in a couple days ago.)

The Tin Man with his hollow chest cavity and long, fervent wish to find a heart.

And me with my weak, out-of-rhythm beating heart.

Let's see: If I only had a healthy heart I could stay young and chipper.

As the Tin Man sang it: "I'd be tender. I'd be gentle. And awful sentimental. . .regarding love and art. I'd be friends with the sparrows and the boy who shoots the arrows, if I only had a heart."

Oh, but to be strong and healthy once again.

If I only had a healthy heart...

You already have one? You're lucky and blessed.

No comments: