Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm slow but I'm happy...


An interesting article by Judith Graham in yesterday's Charlotte Observer focused on how folks in their "golden years" (which I guess I'm on the front end of) may be slower mentally and physically, and yet more content and happy than ever.

The writer quoted a 68-year-old man from Florida saying this: "I've noticed a distinct change from when I was younger. Then, I was quicker to anger, more defensive, much more anxious. Now, I have a greater sense of inner peace. I don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone."

So why is it that older folks often say they feel happier and more stable and better adapted than at any other time in their lives--even as their cognitive and physical abilities diminish?

An expert on aging explains that as we grow older and understand that our time is short, our priorities shift. Instead of tackling tough new challenges--such as trying to move up the ladder at our job or impress others in our profession--we put our energies and time into those things, places or people that we're closest to.

Food for thought for all of us in our "golden years."

No comments: