Sunday, June 8, 2008

David Crockett sets good example

He's a defense attorney in Elizabethton, Tenn., (my hometown), and his name is David Crockett.
Really.

I've never met him personally, and he has no idea who I am, I'm sure. Plus, I'm uncertain whether he's a descendant of "Davey Crocket, King of the Wild Frontier." (Remember that TV show or movie starring Fess Parker?)

Here's a quick observation about David Crockett, based on a scene in Criminal Court in Elizabethton (Carter County, Tenn.) last week.

I'm watching and listening to the proceedings.

I happen to be sitting near the front of the court room on a pew-like bench with a woman--about 5 feet away from me.

The woman, I can tell, is worried, anxious, unsettled. She's been watching the proceedings closely.

Maybe someone in her family is in trouble? I don't know.

The judge calls a recess. All officers of the court, including the judge, exit the courtroom.

The woman near me stays seated (same as I do.)

A well dressed man in jacket, white shirt and tie (obviously an attorney--and obviously David Crockett, based on photos I'd seen of him in newspapers) approaches the woman (whom, I presume is his client.)

They chat quietly and he assures her he's doing everything he can to help her (or her kin or friend), but it will take time, and nothing will happen instantly.

Just hold on and try to have faith that the best outcome will happen, he seems to be whispering to her.

She nods nervously back at him, as he consoles her by holding her hands.

Then she must have shivered, for Mr. Crockett says: "Do you want my jacket? You can wear my jacket."

The worried woman says something to the effect that she couldn't do that.

Continuing to shiver, however, she accepts Mr. Crockett's jacket.

Crockett then leaves the courtroom, and I myself also leave.

Citing this cause too often folks stereotype lawyers as scum-sucking bottom feeders.

Mr. David Crockett, a respected defense attorney in Elizabethton, defies that notion.

Good going, David.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't know David Crockett