Friday, June 25, 2010

The darker side of love


Fact or reality, the old saying goes, is stranger than fiction.

Consider:

I've been doing a good bit of self-examination lately--about love, about romance, about relationships, about what matters in life.

I had a conversation yesterday with a woman, whose name we will not use in this blog post. But suffice it to say she's in her mid to late 70s. She's a widow. She had been married for at least 50 years, I'm sure.

Me: Did you ever once in your marriage contemplate leaving or divorcing him?

Her: I didn't contemplate divorcing him, but I did contemplate murdering him, not once, but many times!

And I had thought through all those years that she had been happily married.

Appearances can be deceiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! At least she didn't murder him.

Dartinia Hull said...

she WAS happily married. happiness isn't always giddiness.

tina e.h.